I thought that I would go ahead and share the slides that I made for the Ethics & Plagiarism lecture in our Research Bootcamp series.
Rough outline of topics touched on:
- (Intentional) Research Misconduct
- ACM (et al.) Codes of Conduct
- Plagiarism and Attribution (with some corner cases)
- Different cultural interpretations
- Authorship (including Least Publishable Units, crowdsourced work, author order)
- Data Acquisition, Data Analysis, Data Reporting
- Code-Sharing and Reproducibility
- Conflict of Interest (including review procedures)
- Human Subjects Review
- Ethics beyond Human Subjects Review, e.g.:
- Role of program committees
- Carna botnet
- A/B Testing in Industry
- Mechanical Turk studies
- Research and PR (e.g., clarifying captions on videos)
Note: I attempted to search for and use only Attribution CC BY images. If any of the images don’t conform, please feel free to let me know!
Another note: Feel free to reuse with attribution (and I wouldn’t mind hearing about it). I’d be extra excited to hear if you make any improvements or additions!